Things to Consider Before Listing a Home FSBO
Do you like the idea of selling a home “For Sale By Owner” (or FSBO) in South Jersey to avoid paying a commission fee? This idea might sound appealing to many homeowners as a way to save money– but should you sell a home without a realtor?
Without the knowledge of an experienced real estate agent in South Jersey, you’re opening yourself up to several challenges. It takes a lot of work to sell a home without a realtor, and if you’re not careful, you could find your home sitting on the market longer than you anticipated.
Should You Sell a Home For Sale By Owner in South Jersey?
Selling a home in South Jersey without a real estate agent isn’t impossible. However, it comes with some drawbacks that you should consider first.
You’ll need to handle all your own marketing, negotiations, showings, and pricing strategies.
It’s no wonder then that, on average, only 11% of home sellers succeed at selling a home on their own.
And the homes that sold went for 26% less on average than homes that sold with the help of a real estate agent.
Without the experience, industry connections, access to the Multiple Listing Service (MLS) database, or knowledge of the legal process behind real estate, selling a home on your own can be costly, labor-intensive, and challenging.
So, should you sell a home for sale by owner? Don’t let these statistics discourage you if you really want to list your home for sale by owner (FSBO). As long as you know what you’re getting into and properly prepare in advance, it’s certainly possible to sell a home in South Jersey on your own successfully.
To help you navigate the process, Your Home Sold Guaranteed Realty has prepared a guide with 10 Tips for Selling Your Home Yourself.
What to Know When Selling a Home “For Sale By Owner”
So, if you’ve decided to move forward with selling a home For Sale By Owner, what should you know?
Many FSBO home sellers are unprepared for the ton of phone calls they’ll receive– but not from interested buyers.
Instead, you’ll receive unwanted phone calls from real estate agents in South Jersey hoping to convince you to hire them.
When agents in your area see an FSBO sign in your yard, it acts as a signal for them to advertise their services.
These agents will try to convince you that it’s too difficult to sell your home on your own. While they may have a point, it’s still perfectly possible to move forward on your own.
The main things you’ll need to be aware of are:
- Pricing strategy – Setting a fair asking price is the most important choice you can make. Do some research into the housing market in your area. Look at homes currently on the market and ones that have sold recently. Also, attend open houses in your area to see what other sellers are pricing their homes at or consider getting an appraisal.
- Legal rules and documentation – According to the real estate rules in your area, it may be necessary to hire an attorney to oversee the transaction. Make sure you research the local laws in your area and follow them properly. You also need to have all the necessary documentation in place.
- Marketing tactics – Be ready to try out different marketing strategies to sell your property. This includes arranging open houses, showings, and advertising online or in person around your neighborhood.
- Remaining objective – Selling a home can be an emotional process. A key thing for home sellers to remember is that they should remain objective during the entire process, particularly during showings.
- Evaluating buyers – You’ll be responsible for pre-qualifying all your prospects and ensuring that they’re a good fit for your home. Assess potential buyers’ financial situations so that both you and them don’t waste your time.
Work With Us to Sell a Home in South Jersey
Taking all these factors into consideration, should you sell a home For Sale By Owner and without a realtor?
If you’re not 100% sure about what to do, our real estate team can help!
You can always ask an expert real estate agent in South Jersey for help selling your home.
Your Home Sold Guaranteed Realty – The Nancy Kowalik Group can help you whenever you’re ready to sell your home. We can also give you more pros and cons on selling a home on your own.
We have access to an extensive database of information that you can’t find anywhere else online, and our experienced team of agents has a long track record of selling homes fast while helping you maximize your profits.
If you decide to work with us to sell your home, you won’t regret it! To learn more about FSBO home selling or working with our team, you can fill out the form below or give us a call at 856-348-5713.