Fast Facts About Living in South Harrison, South Jersey
Population (2018): 3,146
- Newark, NJ: 1hr 43min
- Trenton, NJ: 1hr 5min
- Philadelphia, PA: 40min
Median income (2020):
- Individual: $66,699
- Household: $36,783
Type of location: Rural
Why is South Harrison, South Jersey, a Nice Place to Live?
South Harrison Township is a township in Gloucester County. It’s a predominantly rural area with a mix of farms and unincorporated communities. The nearest big towns are Mullica Hill, Swedesboro, Pitman, Glassboro, and Clayton. South Harrison Township is also 40 minutes outside of Philadelphia. This makes living in South Harrison a great option for commuters who work in the city but want more space living in a rural environment.
Overall, South Harrison is rated low in crime and an excellent place for families. The South Harrison Township School District is also highly-rated. There is only one school in the district, and it serves students in Pre-K through sixth grade, with a student-teacher ratio of 10 to 1.
Children in seventh through twelfth grades attend the Kingsway Regional School District. High school-aged students also have the option of attending the Gloucester County Institute of Technology for vocational training.
What is South Harrison Known For?
South Harrison Township has many wineries in the area. This includes Wagonhouse Winery, William Heritage Winery, Auburn Road Vineyard and Winery, Monroeville Vineyard and Winery, and DiBella Winery.
There are also a couple of farms in the area that welcome visitors and host events throughout the year. At Hill Creek Farms, visitors can U-pick fruit on the farm’s 24-acre orchards or purchase other fresh produce from the farmer’s market.
At Creamy Acres Farm, visitors can tour the dairy farm and garden center, host a party, or attend one of the farm’s seasonal events. One of the most well-known is the Night of Terror Hayride and Haunted House attraction, which takes place on weekends in October.
Living in South Harrison means residents can easily visit Philadelphia for a quick weekend trip. The city has famous sites like the Liberty Bell, Independence Hall, and the Philadelphia Museum of Art.
What Are the Best Restaurants in South Harrison?
Some of the restaurants near South Harrison with the highest-rated Google reviews include:
- Marino’s of Mullica Hill, for an Italian restaurant serving fresh pizza, sandwiches, salad, and more
- blueplate, for creative, farm-to-table takes on American plates like burgers, wraps, sandwiches, pasta, seafood, and red meat.
- David & Sons 322 BBQ & Butcher, for BBQ, burgers, and a butcher shop with a selection of fresh meats
- Naples at the Warehouse, for an Italian restaurant offering pizzas, burgers, pasta, seafood, cheesecake, cannolis, and a selection of wines
- Rode’s Fireside Restaurant, for an American restaurant serving burgers, pasta, sandwiches, seafood, steak, and meatloaf in a relaxed environment